CORTLAND, N.Y. - This week's State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Q&A is with our Field Hockey Defensive Athlete of the Week, Kelsey Devine from Brockport.
Devine, from Clarence, N.Y., added another defensive save this week to end her senior season as the SUNYAC leader in defensive saves with 12 overall. Not only did she lead the conference, but once she hit 11 defensive saves, she was tied for third in the country in Division III field hockey.
Sport: Field Hockey
Year: Graduate Student
Hometown: Clarence, N.Y.
Major: Exercise Physiology with a minor in Biology
- Which professional athlete do you have the most respect for? I'd say Serena Williams – despite all the obstacles thrown in her way, she continues to persevere and rise above the odds. She leaves her heart on the court and plays with so much passion.
- What's your game day meal? I always eat eggs, avocado, and bread for breakfast, then usually get a Dunkin' coffee. I always have to eat a granola bar during our pre-game in the locker room, too – but it has to be a chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar because I'm superstitious haha
- What age did you start playing your sport? I started learning in middle school!
- Do you have a hidden or special talent? I can make a solid chicken wing dip, being from Buffalo has trained me well!
- What is your career goal post college? I'd love to become a strength and conditioning coach or a field hockey coach at the collegiate level.
- What's on your music playlist? Anything with Nicki Minaj or Cardi B (okuuuur), their bars get me HYPE.
- Do you have any pre-game rituals? The night before a game I always drink a Powerade, eat pretzels, and watch game film or a sports movie/TV show.
- What's the best advice anyone has given you? "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" and to play every game like it's your last; leave no regrets.
- What are your hobbies off the field/court? I really like working out and going to concerts!
- What's your favorite memory since playing for your institution? My favorite memory was probably our Senior Day because our team made it so special and put in a lot of effort to make it memorable! I also loved every pre-game in the locker room because we'd all dance and sing to our favorite hype songs!