Geneseo Sports Information Department
EWING, N.J. - SUNY Geneseo first year forward Maggie Phipps scored two goals and senior defender Julia Kim added an assist, but MIT defeated the Knights in the second round of the NCAA Division III Field Hockey Tournament on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Phipps opened the scoring just two minutes into the game, beating a defender down the left flank and firing from a short angle to score, but the Engineers answered within a minute to bring the score back even, 1-1.
- MIT scored midway through the second period, closing out the first half with a 2-1 lead.
- The Engineers extended the lead in the second half, converting a penalty stroke to take a 3-1 advantage with just under five minutes to play in the third period.
- Phipps notched her second goal of the game with just under seven minutes left to play as Kim found her with a pass on the far post after a penalty corner, cutting the lead in half, 3-2.
- The Knights earned a pair of penalty corners with under two minutes to play, but could not convert the game-tying goal as the Engineers earned the victory.
- The Knights outshot the Engineers, 14-7, and earned 11 penalty corners while holding MIT to just two.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Natalie Chojnacki made two saves
- Geneseo caps the season with a program-record 19 victories, advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history. The Knights graduate seniors Erin Nolan, Julia Kim, Ariana Walczyk and Elisa Arcara.