Posted: Mar 22, 2019
STEVENS POINT, Wisc. – SUNY Geneseo lost to Norwich, 4-2, in the NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Semifinals, Friday, hosted at Wisconsin-Stevens Point's K.B. Willett Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first period, Norwich opened a 2-0 lead in the second. The Cadets scored the first of two power-play tallies in the game after Maxime Borduas dropped a short pass to Brett Ouderkirk in front of the left post and scored across the crease with 13:30 on the clock.
- With 6:15 left in the second period, T.J. Dockery flipped a puck on goal from the top of the zone that made its way through traffic to Coby Downs who flipped his own rebound inside the right post.
- Norwich built a 3-0 lead with 15:43 left in the third. Ouderkirk collected a Geneseo turnover at the blue line and fed Maxime Borduas outside the right post for a short finish.
- The Knights scored back-to-back goals in a 1:01 span to make it a 3-2 game with 13:00 left in regulation. First-year forward Henry Cleghorn was credited with a goal in front of a crowded crease at 14:01.
- Following the ensuing face-off, sophomore forward Dan Bosiochipped a pass forward on a rush to sophomore forward Carson Kelley, who pulled his own rebound off Norwich goalie Tom Aubruns's pads for a short goal inside the left post.
- Geneseo pulled senior goalie Devin McDonald with under two minutes remaining in regulation, but it was Norwich sealing the victory with an empty-net goal by Dave Robertson with 29 seconds on the clock.
- Geneseo trailed after two periods for only the third time this season and was held to two goals for only the fourth.
- Geneseo made its third appearance in the NCAA Tournament Semifinals in the last six years, also playing to the Frozen Four in 2014 and 2016.
- Geneseo senior goalie Devin McDonald was credited with 20 saves in the loss, finishing his career fifth in NCAA history with a 70-14-13 record.
- Geneseo finished the season with a 25-2-2 record for the highest win total in its 44-year histroy.