CORTLAND, N.Y. - This week's State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Q&A is with Theo Pencic (Oslo, Norway) of Buffalo State. Pencic was this week's PrestoSports Men's Soccer Offensive Athlete of the Week.
Pencic scored twice and assisted on the other goal as Buffalo State improved to 7-0 with a 3-0 win over D'Youville in the team's only action of the week. The sophomore striker leads the nation with 12 goals and 28 points so far this season. In his one game this week, Pencic also posted a shot-on-goal percentage of .667 and didn't get any red or yellow cards against him. Buffalo State men's Soccer goes on to play Potsdam and Plattsburgh this week, both games are away games.
Sport: Men's Soccer
1. Do you have a hidden or special talent?
I will say that my hidden talent is DJ-ing.
2. Do you have any pre-competition rituals?
I listen to house music on my headphones, and clean my soccer cleats.
3. What's your favorite memory since competing for your institution?
Probably winning Male Athlete of the Year at our annual Bengal awards.
4. If you could have one song play every time you score/get a hit/win a race what would it be?
Has to be a song from my friend back home in Norway, "Holmenkollen Hills" by Amara.
5. If you were stranded on an island, who would you want to be there with you, and why?
If I was stranded on an island I would want to have my girlfriend there with me, because I always have fun when I'm around her and she can make great food with little ingredients.
6. What is your spirit animal?
My spirit animal is the sloth, because I like to relax.
7. What's the best advice anyone has given you?
The best advice someone has given to me, is to always be grateful for what you have.
8. What are some things you do to prepare for a game mentally?
To prepare for a game mentally, I like to watch game film from previous games I've played. Other than that, I like to take it easy and relax when it's game day, and I do not really focus mentally until our coach gets in the locker room and has a pre-match talk with us.
9. Do you have a motto you live by or say to yourself on occasion?
Stay humble, your time will come.
10. If you could pick one person in the entire world to be a spectator at all of your games who would it be and why?
If I could pick one person to be a spectator to all of my games, it would be my dad, because he's back in Norway and I know how much he wishes to watch me play soccer. Everything I strive for in soccer, is to make my dad proud. (and of course the rest of my family).