Geneseo Sports Information Department
CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky. - SUNY Geneseo junior pitcher Ashlyn Kersch went 3-for-4 with a home run and two runs scored and tossed a complete game to lead the Knights to a 2-1 victory over Dickinson (Pa.) in the opening game of the NCAA Regional hosted by Thomas More University on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kersch retired 12 of the first 13 hitters she faced and did not allow a hit through four scoreless innings. In the fifth, Dickinson manufactured a run with a two-out RBI double to take a 1-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the sixth inning, Kersch came to the plate and blasted a solo home run over the right-center field fence to tie the game at 1-1.
- Geneseo overcame a two-out double in the top of the eighth as Kersch forced the Red Devils to strand the runner at second. In the bottom of the inning, Kersch singled up the middle before Napoli laced a double down the left field line, scoring Kersch all the way from first base to give the Knights the walk-off victory.
- Kersch lifted her third home run of the year and earned her 15th win of the season, improving to 15-3 with a 1.72 ERA.
- Napoli and junior first baseman Abbey Whitney each finished with a double, bringing the Knights' season total to 80, three shy of the single-season program record.
- The Knights have held their opponent to four runs or fewer in 37 of their 44 games this season.
- Geneseo is now 3-0 in the opening game of NCAA Regionals.
The Knights will face the winner of host Thomas More and Wilson in the second round of the NCAA Regional on Saturday at 10:00 a.m.