CORTLAND, N.Y. - This week's State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Q&A is with the Women's Lacrosee Defensive Player of the Week, Cayla O'Connor (Dexter, N.Y.)
O'Connor had 10 goals and 20 draw controls in a 1-1 week for the Bears. She scored a career-high six goals in an 18-7 win at Plattsburgh on Wednesday. O'Connor also picked up six ground balls, six draw controls and caused three turnovers. She then scored four times and recorded a personal best 14 draw controls in a 15-11 loss at Oswego on Saturday.
Sport: Women's Lacrosse
1. If you had to choose another sport to play in college what would it be and why?
If I had to play another sport in college, I would play basketball. I played basketball from the time I was 7 until the end of high school, I always loved it but loved lacrosse more.
2. What's your favorite pro sports team and why?
I actually don't have a favorite. My brothers and parents all root for different teams, there's usually always some sort of game on at home so whoever is playing I'm usually cheering for them too.
3. Do you have a hidden talent, if so what is it?
My hidden talent is being artistic. I love to draw and sketch.
4. If you could have one song play every time you score/get a hit/win a race what would it be?
That song would be Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard. It's our goal song this season for our lacrosse games.
5. What's your favorite professional sports memory?
I honestly don't have one!
6. What's your favorite sports movie?
The Sandlot, you can't beat that classic.
7. Do you have any pre/in game rituals? What are they?
A pregame ritual we have for my team at Potsdam involves a painted bear paw. Every time we leave our locker room to head out to the field for a game, we HAVE to slap the paw as we walk through the door.
8. If you were stranded on an island, who would you want to be there with you, and why?
Any of the main characters from the Hunger Games (if they were real obviously) because they're incredibly tough and resilient.
9. Who inspired you to play your sport?
I wasn't inspired exactly, but my neighbor knew my brothers and I were athletic and kept insisting that we try lacrosse. So, he gave me a men's lacrosse stick when I was 10 and the rest is history.
10. What is your spirit animal?
I'd have to say a horse. I always admire their strength and beauty.