Geneseo Sports Information Department
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – SUNY Geneseo senior goalie Emily Janiszewski made a career-high 13 saves, but it was Stevens (N.J.) scoring the game-winning goal in the 104th minute to earn a 1-0 double-overtime victory in the opening round of the NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Tournament, Saturday, at Williams (Mass.).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Stevens sophomore forward Emily Damrell scored the deciding tally with 6:38 remaining in the second overtime. Senior forward Zisi Komar sent a ball from the left flank into the Knights' box that Janiszewski came off her line to play. However, the ball deflected off the crowd in front of the goal to Damrell for a short finish.
- The Ducks (16-2-0) nearly won it in the 87th minute after Komar struck a hard 10-yard shot in front of the Geneseo goal that Janiszewski corralled on a diving save to her left.
- Geneseo countered and nearly scored the game-winner in the 89th minute. Senior forward Jennifer Moran received the ball on the right flank and took a looping 18-yard shot that deflected off the top off the Stevens' crossbar.
- Stevens finished the contest with a 27-6 shot advantage.
- Geneseo (14-4-1) made its third NCAA Tournament appearance in the last five seasons after winning its third State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) title in the same timeframe.
- The Knights won its two opening matches in double-overtime in the 2017 NCAA Tournament, eliminating Penn State-Berks, 2-1, and Misericordia, 1-0, in a pair of home contests before falling to Johns Hopkins, 2-0, in a match played at Williams.
- Geneseo entered Saturday's contest allowing eight goals in 18 outings this fall, including 14 shutouts that ranked sixth in Division III. The Knights had also blanked 12 of their last 13 opponents, out-scoring its opposition 25-2 during the run and hadn't been scored on since Oct. 19 (2-1 loss at Cortland).
- In 13 NCAA Tournament games across seven appearances, Geneseo has gone into overtime on nine occasions while compiling a 3-2-4 mark in those contests.