CORTLAND, N.Y. - The State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) shares a Q&A with its Women's Swimmer of the Week, Chelsea Angulas from New Paltz.
Angulas was a big part of the Hawks' third place finish at the TCNJ Invite over the weekend. She collected two individual first-place finishes in the 100 and 200-yard backstroke with times of 57.92 and 2:07.33, respectively, while also helping New Paltz to first-place finishes in the 200 freestyle relay (1:38.93) and 400 freestyle relay (3:36.95), along with second and third place standings in the 400 IM relay (4:01.37) and 200 medley relay (51.37).
Sport: Women's Swimming
Hometown: Owego, N.Y.
Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Which professional athlete do you have the most respect for? I have the most respect for Katie Ledecky because she is only 21 years old and has already won five Olympic gold medals. She is still in college majoring in psychology at Stanford and a world record holder in multiple events.
- What's your meal on competition day? Before every meet, I try to eat light and only have a bowl of cheerios. However, if there are fruit snacks at the meet, all bets are off, and I'm eating at least four pouches, easy.
- What age did you start your sport? I started swimming competitively at age six. Although I began "swimming" in the bathtub, at the age of three.
- Do you have a hidden or special talent? I excel at catching food in my mouth from long distances and extreme heights.
- What is your career goal post college? My goal post college is to become a mechanical engineer and invent something cool.
- What's on your music playlist? Before every meet I make sure to listen to "I Feel Like I'm Drowning" by Two Feet, Quinn XCII, and Hippie Sabotage.
- Do you have any pre-game rituals? I have to wipe my goggles clear of fog at least six times to make sure they are perfectly clear for the start.
- What's the best advice anyone has given you? My dad gives me the best advice accompanied with a fist bump… "Swim Fast".
- What are your hobbies outside of competition in the pool? I like to watch very bad Hallmark Christmas movies with friends.
- What's your favorite memory since playing for your institution? Going on the team hike during alumni weekend will be a hike I will never forget.