CORTLAND, N.Y. - Meet the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Women's Volleyball Defensive Athlete of the Week, Sam Mendelsohn. Mendelsohn anchored Geneseo with 21 digs and added two service aces as they limited two-time defending conference champion Brockport to a -.008 hitting percentage in a 3-0 sweep, Friday. She then added 13 digs in a 3-0 sweep of Cortland and 11 digs and three service aces in a 3-0 win over host Buffalo State on Saturday.
Hometown: Williamsville, N.Y.
- Which professional athlete do you have the most respect for? I love the Yankees so Derek Jeter. I've loved him since I was a little kid. I just think he has so much respect for the game and his team and his fans and I think people look up to him for that so he's my favorite.
- What's your game day meal? Chicken and rice is my go to. I always try to have some kind of vegetable in there somewhere.
- What age did you start playing your sport? I was around 11 or 12 when I started playing club.
- Do you have a hidden or special talent? I can do a handstand for a really long time!
- What is your career goal? I am really starting to like Public Relations (PR) stuff so I think working for a PR agency, maybe something with sports would be really cool.
- What's on your music playlist? I have a really strange taste in music. I love country music that's my go to, but I also like, hip hop, rap, oldies stuff.
- Do you have any pre-game rituals? I really don't have any pre-game rituals. I just normally like to put my headphones in and listen to my own music. If it's a long bus ride then the last hour I will put on my hype music, but if it's before a home game I like to put on focus music.
- What's the best advice anyone has given you? My club coach gave me this little present and it had a quote on it that said, "Don't just get by, get better." That stuck with me throughout my whole career. I think it's just a really good reminder that there is always something to get better at.
- What are your hobbies off the field/court? I love Grey's Anatomy so I watch that probably every day even though I've seen all the seasons like a million times. And just hanging out with my teammates and my friends.
- What's your favorite memory since playing for your institution? Any time we host a SUNYAC weekend it's super awesome to get friends and family here to watch. I love that.